WNBA Playoffs 2018: How to watch, scores, live stream, TV info, playoff bracket
The 2018 WNBA Playoffs continued on Tuesday night with Game 2 of both semi-final series. In the first game of the doubleheader, the Atlanta Dream battled back from a 10-point deficit in the third quarter to escape with a 78-75 victory despite turning the ball over 16 times. Unfortunately, the story of the game was the knee injury the knocked Washington Mystics superstar Elena Delle Donne out of the game. She hyperextended her left knee in ugly fashion on a drive in the fourth quarter, and did not return to the game after being carried to the locker room.
Game 2 of Seattle Storm vs. Phoenix Mercury was just as exciting. After the Storm built up a huge lead in the third quarter, the Mercury came roaring back in the fourth, just like they did in Game 1 — though they ended up falling short at the end regulation. This time, late heroics from Diana Taurasi got the Mercury into overtime, but once again their comeback was ultimately for naught. The Storm escaped with a 91-87 win to take a 2-0 series lead.
Both series continue on Thursday night.
If you aren’t familiar with the WNBA playoff format, the first two rounds are single elimination. Teams seeded fifth through eighth — conference affiliation doesn’t matter for playoff seeding anymore — play in the first round. The winners of those two games are re-seeded and move on to the second round, where they’ll meet the third or fourth seed, each of whom earned a bye past the first round.
The winners of the second round games are then once again re-seeded, and move on to the semifinals, where they’ll take on either the first or second seed, each of whom earned a bye all the way to the semis. From there, the format moves to a best-of-five series, with the higher seeded team hosting Games 1, 2 and 5, if necessary. The WNBA Finals follow the same format as the semis.
Here is everything you need to know about the upcoming playoff games, including how and when to watch on TV and livestream.
Semi-finals (best-of-five series) — Start Sunday, August 26
Phoenix Mercury (5) vs. Seattle (1)
- Game 1: Seattle Storm 91, Phoenix Mercury 87 — Box Score
- Game 2: Seattle Storm 91, Phoenix Mercury 87 — Box Score
- Game 3: Seattle at Phoenix, Friday, August 31, TBD — ESPN News and Watch ESPN
- Game 4*: Seattle at Phoenix, Sunday, September 2, TBD — ESPN 2 and WatchESPN
- Game 5*: Phoenix at Seattle, Tuesday, September 4, TBD — ESPN News and WatchESPN
Washington Mystics (3) vs. Atlanta (2)
- Game 1: Washington Mystics 87, Atlanta Dream 84 — Box Score
- Game 2: Atlanta Dream 78, Washington Mystics 75 — Box Score
- Game 3: Atlanta at Washington, Friday, August 31, TBD — ESPN News and Watch ESPN
- Game 4: Atlanta at Washington, Sunday, September 2, TBD — ESPN 2 and WatchESPN
- Game 5*: Washington at Atlanta, Tuesday, September 4, TBD — ESPN 2 and WatchESPN