Wimbledon 2018 results: Roger Federer, Serena Williams dominate; final top 10 woman's player goes down
Serena Williams is advancing to quarterfinals with a a dominant sweep over Evgeniya Rodina, as her pursuit for her 24th career Grand Slam continues. Williams is just one Grand Slam away from tying Margaret Court, and the conversation now has to get very serious, particularly given who is remaining against Williams in the field.
With No. 7 Karolina Pliskova, after an inspired comeback against Mihaela Buzarnescu, losing to No. 20 Kiki Bertens in straight sets, the entire top 10 is now eliminated. Pliskova’s loss follows Simona Halep being upset by Hsieh Su-wei on Saturday and ensures a double-digit seed — perhaps Williams — seeded 25th — will take the Venus Rosewater Dish.
Camila Giorgi, meanwhile, will finish with a career best in a Grand Slam. She’ll make it to the quarterfinal of a major for the first time, surpassing a fourth-round finish at Wimbledon in 2012 with her win over Ekaterina Makarova. Dominika Cibulkova defeated Su-wei as well to advance to quarterfinals. No. 12 Jelena Ostapenko and No. 13 Julia Gorges will also move on with wins over Aliaksandra Sasnovich and Donna Vekic, respectively. No. 11 Angelique Kerber secured a win with a sweep over Belinda Bencic.
Daria Kasatkina and Alison Van Uytvanck gave us the only three-set match of the day on the women’s side, with No. 14-seeded Kasatkina advancing.
On the men’s side, Roger Federer became the first quarterfinal participant with yet another sweep, this one over Adrian Mannarino. Federer has looked unstoppable so far in defending his title, and certainly looks like the player to beat in the men’s bracket. No. 13 Milos Raonic of Canada is also on an impressive run, defeating the USA’s Mackenzie McDonald in four sets.
You can find the scores from each match below.
Men’s Monday Wimbledon results
- No. 1 Roger Federer defeats No. 22 Adrian Mannarino 6-0, 7-5, 6-4
- No. 13 Milos Raonic defeats Mackenzie McDonald 6-3, 6-4, 6-7, 6-2
Women’s Monday Wimbledon results
- No. 20 Kiki Bertens defeats No. 7 Karolina Pliskova 6-3, 7-6
- No. 11 Angelique Kerber defeats Belinda Bencic 6-3, 7-6
- No. 12 Jelena Ostapenko defeats Aliaksandra Sasnovich 7-6, 6-0
- No. 13 Julia Gorges defeats Donna Vekic 6-3, 6-2
- No. 14 Daria Kasatkina defeats Alison Van Uytvanck 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
- No. 25 Serena Williams defeats Evgeniya Rodina 6-2, 6-2
- Camila Giorgi defeats Ekaterina Makarova 6-3, 6-4
- Dominika Cibulkova defeats Hsieh Su-wei 6-4, 6-1