Report: IndyCar's Andretti Autosport to keep Honda, Alexander Rossi for 2018
After meeting with Honda Performance Development officials over the weekend at Gateway Motorsports Park in Illinois, Andretti Autosport is expected to remain with Honda, ending a two-month courtship with rival brand Chevrolet.
Sources told Autoweek on Monday night they believe it will happen this week. Also, Racer published a story late Monday reporting a deal had been reached to keep both Honda and driver Alexander Rossi in the fold.
By keeping Honda as its manufacturer, Andretti Autosport would be in great position to keep prized young driver Rossi, the winner of the 100th Indianapolis 500 in 2016. Rossi is seventh in the IndyCar driver standings this season. Rossi’s people had been talking to other Honda teams because of speculation Andretti was about to switch Chevrolet until the owner decided to remain with Honda.
However, Andretti will lose driver Takuma Sato to Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. The Honda driver made a deal with another Honda team when it appeared that Andretti was going to switch to Chevrolet. Sato’s agent, Steve Fusek, told Autoweek Saturday night at Gateway that “ink has not been put to paper” on a contract, but it appears a verbal agreement between Sato and team owner Bobby Rahal is in place, pending the execution of a contract.