NASCAR team owner Roger Penske says Ford will have a new car in 2019
It was the worst kept secret in NASCAR, but Roger Penske confirmed on Sunday that Ford Performance will have a new Cup Series body in 2019.
Ford currently has the oldest shell in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. Toyota dominated the tour in 2017 with a brand new Toyota Camry and Chevrolet hopes to do the same things this season with its debuting Camaro ZL1.
That leaves Team Penske looking to contend with a body that hasn’t been updated in four years.
“We can’t really use that as an excuse,” Penske said after winning the Clash at Daytona with Brad Keselowski. “There’s no reason to. I think we thought the same thing coming out of St. Petersburg last year in IndyCar that we might not have the power Honda had and we won 10 races. I keep reminding the team that. We’ve got to race all year. We’ll have a new body next year.”
It was apparently news to lead driver Brad Keselowski, too. The 2011 Cup Series champion admitted that he had heard the rumors but nothing else.
“They don’t tell me those kind of things because they know I’ve got a little bit of a big mouth and they don’t trust me, which is probably smart,” Keselowski said. “If (Penske) says it, I would say go with him. He’s always pretty trustworthy.”
In a statement to NBC Sports, Mark Rushbrook, Global Director, Ford Performance Motorsports, would not confirm any such decision.
“This is racing, and we are always working on actions to improve performance and that includes engine, body, aero, everything on the car. We will make an announcement on any future body actions when we are ready.”